Patient support begins before your operation, with a class where you learn about the band, and nutrition.
Why are our support groups unique? Because Dr. Simpson attends most of them, and is there to answer your questions, in addition our nutritionist is also available. The support groups are based on the workbook that we wrote, just for our patients. Can’t make it to a support group? No problem. You will know the topics we cover and they will all be in the book. Still want more? We have podcasts covering the essential features of Getting to your Goal weight and staying there.
Dr. Simpson carries his Blackberry with him everywhere— if you have a simple question, email and you will receive a response quickly. The office also checks the email regularly.
Need some more help with nutrition – the first Monday of every month we have a nutrition class, hosted by Nancy, our nutritionist.
Workbooks, support groups, podcasts, email support, and classes—and that is just the beginning.
The advantage of the adjustable gastric band is that it is adjustable. This means that the band can be adjusted or filled so that we can find the sweet spot in the band. That spot that allows you to feel satisfied with two or three meals a day, eating only a small portion of food.
Placing the band (the operation) is just the start of your journey. Getting the band adjusted to you is the second step in starting you on your journey.
The first adjustment occurs six weeks after the operation. Why six weeks? Because this allows your stomach to get used to the band. We cannot fill the band at the time of surgery because swelling following surgery may obstruct the band. So we allow your body to get used to having the band.
A small volume of saline (sterile saltwater) will be placed into your band during each fill.
How do we know when it is perfect? When you can eat a small volume of food and you are satisfied until your next meal.
Costs of fills (adjustments)
- Fills are OFTEN covered by insurance programs. For our patients the first fill, in office, is included with the operation.
- For our patients who self-pay for the surgery, all office fills for the first year are included - this month we are offering it for the first 18 months.
- The cost of a fill in the office is $100.
- After a fill there is a ten day period where any adjustments are free, whether that be adding fluid or removing fluid from the band
- We want you perfectly adjusted!
- The first fill for patient’s from other surgeon’s including consultation is $550, all fills after are $100. This is a one-time program fee of $450 plus the cost of the fill.
- The cost of a fill under X-ray is an additional charge by the facility, the radiologist reading the X-ray, and the procedure.